- GK needs to ‘’step’’ towards line of ball with nearest foot.
- Making initial step it brings bodyweight slightly forward in preparation to make the save.
- With leg slightly flexed & bodyweight transferred onto it, GK will now have the power to dive to side whilst bringing bodyweight forward.
- As GK’s weight is transferred to leg: hands & bodyweight follow.
- Hands should be approximately ball width apart (‘’in the handcuffs’’) & move together towards line of ball with fingers spread in the ‘W’ formation.
- If ball arrives along ground: leading hand needs to go behind ball with other securing it on top.
- Elbow needs to be tucked in to ensure ball is secured safely & to avoid injury.
- All impact is taken on the side of body & shoulders with head following in behind the hands.
- Area 10x10yds, as illustrated.
- GK in 6yd goal marked with cones.
- Server feeds GK with service of varying strengths & heights.
- GK makes save & returns to set position.
- Server varies service, including:
– Striking stationary ball.
– Striking moving ball.
– Striking dipping volley.
– Striking half-volley.
Key Coaching Points
Key points: Start in the set position
– Dont antisipate the shot
– Get low (Angle of the dive)
– Step forward (angle of foot IS THE SAME as the angle of the dive)
– Not rotating (lead hand/staying side on)
THE FUTURE LIONS
The Future Lions App is a game changer!
Setting the new standard in academy software management and currently being utilised by professional clubs worldwide, we are con?dent no other one tool offers such a complete training, management and safeguarding infrastructure.
Recognising that in order to produce world-class players and football industry professionals you need to invest in the very latest training and digital support by incorporating world-leading technology via our world-class software – the Future Lions Academy Management Software.
Dedicated to setting the standard for coaching support and player safeguarding our academy management software combines cutting edge technology, within an easy to navigate system.