Goalkeeper Training in Northern Virginia
Lake Newport, Herndon; Evergreen Sportsplex, Leesburg; Bull Run Middle School, Gainesville; Next Level Fitness, Haymarket
Dulles Sportsplex, Sterling; Sports Network, Manassas; NZone Chantilly;
To read what people are saying about J4K Training, click here
A part-time chance turned into a full-time passion
As a stand-out Sophomore mid-fielder in high school, Larry was called on as goalkeeper on a part-time basis for his team when they experienced a GK injury. It was at this point becoming a Goalkeeper took hold.
Playing more in goal for his school and joining a club team in upstate New York as their full-time keeper, he was hooked! Training hard and attending GK camps throughout the US, Larry quickly developed his skill. He was selected as a walk-on Freshman to his NCAA Division III LeMoyne College team, where he became the starting keeper that year, a position he held for 3 years.
Unfortunately, injuries late in his junior year in addition to participating in an educational internship in Washington, DC ended his collegiate playing career.
Although he took a short break from playing keeper when his two children were very young, Larry continued to play goalkeeper for a variety of adult amateur and semi-professional indoor and outdoor teams in NY, NJ and now in VA. The desire to coach and instill the fundamentals of the position took Larry to work with GKs in Northern VA beginning in mid-2000. Since then goalkeepers from over 20 local clubs have come to Larry’s program and he is currently the goalkeeper coach for the SYA Boys and Girls travel Academy programs, boys goalkeeper coach at Battlefield High School, and the NVSC Majestics Super Y Goalkeeper Coach. Larry has over 20 years experience playing and coaching keepers for this unique and challenging position.
Larry partnered with international Goalkeeping Academy Just 4 Keepers to help fill the void in available Goalkeeper training in the area. Many times the goalkeeper is not provided the time, attention or quality touches on the ball that their field player teammates receive in order to develop as a player.
The J4K program operates as a year-round group training system, utilizing the skills of all the participating goalkeepers to help each other develop. By meeting weekly, the J4K program reinforces the skills needed to be a successful GK. It is our belief that the GK position requires regular, consistent, and on-going training and is not a skill that can be learned and perfected in few sessions.
Coaching and Playing History
- USSF/FIFA National D License
- NSCAA Level I, II, and III Goalkeeping Diplomas
- VYSA D & E Licenses
- Owner/Coach J4K of Northern VA (2012-present)
- Battlefield High School Boys Asst Coach/GK Coach (2014 – present)
- SYA Recreational GK Director (2017 – Present)
- MSC GK Director (2017 – Present)
- BAC GK Director (2018 – Present)
- SYA U9 – U11 Academy GK Director (2017 – Spring 2019)
- Evergreen FC U23 PDL GK Coach (2017)
- Freedom FC GK Coach (2016)
- SYA U11-U18 Boys and Girls Travel Academy GK Coach (2013 – 2017)
- SYA U17B GK Coach and Trainer (2013-2015)
- NVSC Magestics Super Y Goalkeeper Coach (2014 – 2015)
- WYSC U9-U12 GK Academy Director (2013, 2020)
- VSA Heat U9G Head Coach (2010-11)
- VSA Heat Boys Asst Coach/GK Coach U9-U14 (2007 – 2012)
- GK Coach/Trainer – Soccer the Brazilian Way (2009 – 2012)
- PREPARE First Aid
- NCAA Div III LeMoyne College GK 1986 -90