- Start position in line of ball & GK ready on front foot to move forward.
- Assessment: advance or hold position & defend goal.
- Put onus on A & move forward only when ball is out of A’s feet.
- Delay, remain big (stay on feet) & force A wide if possible.
- Recovery runs of D, recovery saves & recovery lines of retreat.
- Constant awareness of position in penalty area relative to ball & goal.
- 2 techniques to focus on: diving at feet & smothering.
- Dependent factors of selection of diving or smothering techniques, as previously described.
- Area 50x54yds, with edges of penalty area coned-off & appropriate size goal, as illustrated.
- 10 players (incl. 2GK’s), arranged 2 Attackers & Defenders working in 2 groups.
- 8 balls with each group of 2v2.
- Practice starts with: first group start in a wide position; the other, central.
- D1 makes back pass for GK to advance & save, with A chasing through to apply pressure & capitalize on possible GK error.
- Practice develops with variation in outcome of initial pass from D (as described in progression below).
- Progression of outcome of initial D pass for this practice are:
– D plays through & A receives to take-on to goal.
– Condition A to 5 second time limit to score, but allowing as many touches on ball as required.
– D makes recovery from misplaced back pass.
– 2D’s recover from misplaced back pass.
– 2A’s attack back pass & 2D’s recover to defend.
Key Coaching Points
1. Close down the ball quickly
2. Get as low and as big as possible
3. W eight forward on balls of feet
4. Force the attacker away from the goal
5. Decision – Stalk or smother
6. Recovery back to goal
THE FUTURE LIONS
The Future Lions App is a game changer!
Setting the new standard in academy software management and currently being utilised by professional clubs worldwide, we are con?dent no other one tool offers such a complete training, management and safeguarding infrastructure.
Recognising that in order to produce world-class players and football industry professionals you need to invest in the very latest training and digital support by incorporating world-leading technology via our world-class software – the Future Lions Academy Management Software.
Dedicated to setting the standard for coaching support and player safeguarding our academy management software combines cutting edge technology, within an easy to navigate system.