Goalkeeping is a specialist position which many take for granted. More often than not, goalkeepers are remembered as villains than heroes.
For goalkeepers to handle the pressure of a game situation, They need to have many mental, physical and technical attributes that, when perfected, will make them great goalkeepers.
Below has a list of skills that goalkeepers need.
- Basic soccer skills (Being able to control, pass and distribute the soccer ball)
- Ball handling (Being able to catch the soccer ball in different situations)
- Positioning (Knowing where and when to stand in your goal)
- Quick reflexes (Being able to move quickly to save a shot)
- Agility (Moving fast around your goal, quick feet)
- Judgement (Timing challenges and judging when to come off your line)
- Command of the penalty area (helping the team to keep its shape and communicating with defenders
- Commitment and composure (A good goalkeeper never gives up)